Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Raisin-Nut Cookie Time!


Sunday night, I returned home from a long and arduous trip to the grocery store. On my own, I had to do battle with a possessed shopping cart, long lines at the deli and a spill on aisle 12. Finally, back in the sanctuary of my abode, I got down to business. Cookie business. Flour out, sugar measured, butter softened... only to realize, with horror, I had forgotten to buy eggs. Eggs! The refridgerator staple had somehow alluded my memory... I really must have been out of it.

Too defeated to head out again in the newly cold weather, I gave up on Sunday's cookies. Yesterday, however, I was back in full-spirits, ready to bake. "I'll just pick up some eggs from CVS on the way home from work", I thought. How was I to know that I would almost - almost! - be thwarted again. In the CVS, which usually is always realiable on eggs, all that was left at the bottom of the fridge shelf was one lonely styrofoam egg container. At first, all seemed well... until I did my mandatory broken-egg check and opened it up. ALAS, it had been pilfered! Only 4 eggs remained out of the dozen.

I bent down and peered into the back of the fridge. I thought I could see a box back there marked "Eggs". How to access it? Not willing to accept defeat, I found a shelf-stocker and asked him whether or not there were any eggs in the back. "I dunno. Don't think so. I'll check", he replied, obviously not thrilled by my request. Five minutes later, victory was mine. Eggs in hand, I scooted home to whip up a batch of raisin-nut spiced cookies. After all, I felt bad enough that I had made J. go to work Monday without any dessert (quel horreur!). Thankfully, the rest of the week will be full of cookie goodness.

Raisin-Nut Cookies (about 30 cookies)

1 C. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
5 T. butter, unsalted, softened
1 egg
1/2 C. sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. salt
1/3 C. chopped pecans
1/3 C. raisins

Preheat oven to 350. Combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl. Set aside.

Beat butter until creamy. Add egg and sugar and beat well.

Add flour mixture to the butter mix, and beat at a low speed to combine. Stir in raisins and nuts.

Place dough by rounded teaspoons onto lightly greased cookie sheets, 2 inches apart. Bake 10 minutes.


*I like to glaze these lightly with a simple powdered sugar and water glaze, but they're perfect as is too!

4 comments:

iportion said...

those cookies look good.
I hate it when I forget eggs.

PS

My husband tried and made your pasta for sunday supper.
It was a winner.

Amanda said...

So glad you liked it!

iportion said...

we plan on having it again.
I am now craving oatmeal cookis too bad I ran out of oatmeal.

restaurants said...

That sounds like a fantastic idea. Great looking cookie, too! Glad you had such a great work.