Monday, November 19, 2007

Pumpkin Soup, unplugged


I have a confession to make. I am addicted... to winter squash. Every year, I bemoan the cold weather, my dry skin, the impending months of doom and gloom... but thankfully, this one thing comes around in the fall to brighten my dampened spirits.

The worst thing about my deep affinity for these dark orange veggie-fruits is that my husband does not share my feelings. I could slave all day over some roasted butternut squash lasagna, and he would stick out his tongue and shake his head, refusing to consume it like a spoiled child. Oh, he'll eat it in pie form, of course. But eating the candy-like taste of winter squash as a main course goes against his personal rule to not combine sweet and savory flavors at the dinner table. What a weirdo.

Anyway, I had this pie pumpkin sitting on my kitchen island for a few weeks. I picked it up from an apple orchard in Ohio while we were there visiting J.'s family, with the intention of using it for pumpkin bread. Right after Halloween, I went ahead and baked the pumpkin (removing the seeds first and roasting them - delicious snack), pureed the cooked flesh, seeled in up and put it in the freezer to store it until I have time to properly bake.

Then, one evening after work, it hit. The unmistakable, not easily dismissed craving for something hearty, filling, warm, and... squashy. Husband be damned, I had to have pumpkin soup that minute... he would just have to do with canned soup of his own choosing that night. I only had the basics on hand - chicken broth, onion, spices - but they would have to do. And do they DID. This soup is incredibly simple, but if you adore the creamy, sweet flavor of pumpkin / butternut or acorn squash, you will appreciate this soup. Of course, you don't have to bake and puree your own pumpkin - canned, pure pumpkin will do just fine. A dollop of cream fraiche or a splash of milk on the finished product is the perfect adornment.

Pumpkin Soup (2 servings)

2 C. pumpkin puree (the flesh of about one roasted pie pumpkin or 1 can pure pumpkin puree)
1 T. olive oil
1/2 a yellow onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 tsp. cumin powder
1 tsp. sugar
1.5 C. chicken broth (or more if you need to thin it out)
Salt and pepper

Heat the oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute 5 minutes, until onion is translucent. Add the cumin, sugar, salt and pepper and stir to combine, 1 minute.

Add the pumpkin puree to the pan, along with the broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer - simmer 25 minutes.

In two batches, puree the soup in a blender or food processor. Return to pan, taste and adjust seasonings. Drop some creme fraiche on top, stir and EAT!

5 comments:

iportion said...

i love pumpkin
pumpkin with splenda, with pudding, in cookies.

Pumpkin can also be mixed in chocolate cake mix
just use ½ cup water and only one egg
it takes no oil and your husband shouldn't taste it

White or yellow mix tastes pumpkin so add pumpkin spice
And chocolate chips

foodhoe said...

mmm these pumpkin ideas sound so delicious. my hubby is also freakishly against pumpkin and winter squash, what is up with that? well, more for me, I say!

kabonfootprint said...

thanks for sharing your ideas, i'm trying my best to learn how to cook (decent meals :-)
I hope your OK with Asian foods too, because they are also yummy :-)... Busby SEO challenge

KabonFootPrint

omsai said...

Here you can find the list of the hotels which are there in india india hotel india, hotel in mumbai, Goa, Kolkata, Agra, Gujarat, Jaipur, Delhi

fast food places said...

i love pumpkin That sounds like a fantastic idea.